9.17.2008

Mode Japonesque

Ok, GK still thinks that I have not done enough to compensate my dormant period, so here is another one. He wrote about a disastarous Japanese car ad, and here is my counter offer.

Nissan makes various car ads (duh), and each always has a theme as 'SHIFT_XXX.' Here is one for TEANA with 'SHIFT_hospitality.'



Filming is beautiful, and the actress (Rei Dan) is breath-takingly stunning, but beyond that, the creative concept is concise and true to the functional offers of the car. The narration takes functionality to a higher level of emotion:

"Sitting in this space, my spirit becomes soothingly liberated."

"Omotenashi"

"Welcome to New TEANA"

'Omotenashi' is a translation of hospitality and it is well woven with the tranditional Tea Ceremony and its spirit. One may argue that it is too 'cultural,' but isn't that exactly what we want to
(or should!) play with to make better communications? Plus, I like the track choice; it is the Japanese version of 'Waltz for Debby,' making the whole impressions gently powerful.

I think it's about a time for me to let go of my German wagon...

No comments: