1.26.2008

Tokyo Taxi Chronicles 1

Like I wrote about the smoke ban in Tokyo cabs the other day, I LOVE chatting with cab drivers. Whether in Las Vegas or Florence, cab drivers are the ones who are in the know about the city. In Tokyo, where taxis often outnumber private cars in the city, cab drivers are a great source of 'insight' into the city.

Lately, I've been drilling local cabbies on the recent cigarette ban.

Surprisingly, they all say overall it has been quite with no major problems. However, several drivers told me an interesting story: they have lost female customers since the ban.


It seems that riding in a taxi had been a great opportunity for many business women to catch a smoke before or after work. Basically, they don't smoke at home and avoid smoking at work under the watchful eyes of male co-workers (yes, there is still sexism in Japan and smoking at work is considered a manly habit). The solution then for them was to get off their train a station or two before the office, catch a cab and enjoy her purple haze.

Since they are no longer allowed to smoke in cabs, they simply stopped riding them. I first thought it was just a rare case, but heard the same story from several drivers. Now I wonder where these women go to enjoy a smoke... or do they substitute it with something else like sweets and booze??!! My investigation continues...

No comments: