4.22.2008

A Fly in my Soup!

Meaningless rant post alert.

So today I went to lunch at a nearby Chinese place with our Planning Director and another Planner Guy. A planning lunch, as it were. As I was eating my katayakisoba, (fried chow mein with starchy vegetable soup), I noticed there was, indeed, a fly in my soup.

While not opposed to a little extra protein, I couldn't resist the old line.... But, this being Tokyo, I couldn't say "Excuse me sir, there's a fly in my soup." Wasted opportunity. I had to settle with something that translates as "Uh, there's like, a bug..."

I actually did get a free lunch, which is unusual here in Tokyo. In most regular joints, the staff just aren't properly trained/motivated to deal with these kinds of issues. I mean, they come out and say "We are so very very sorry" and stuff, maybe toss you a free drink or cookie, but... they don't mean it.

Thus ends this meaningless rant post.

No comments: